Aside from tractor trailer accidents, motorcycle accidents are the most dangerous of all motor vehicle accidents. When someone riding a motorcycle is hit by a car or SUV, the impact is tremendous. It’s nearly impossible to walk away from this sort of collision unscathed. That’s why it’s important to wear as much safety gear as possible. Our hope is that you never go through something like this. However, if you do, it’s good to know that there are experienced motorcycle accident attorneys in Sandy Springs.
Usually, by the time we meet with a motorcycle accident victim, they have undergone extensive medical treatment. Some of our clients are in such bad shape, they can’t even make it into the office. In cases like this, we can always visit you. Or, if you have a friend or family member who can help, we’ll conduct your free, initial consultation online. We understand what you’re going through and know that it’s a very difficult time. Our goal is to make things as easy as possible so you can focus on your recovery. While you focus on your health, our Georgia personal injury attorneys will get started on your case.
Here, we will discuss the most common types of injuries suffered in motorcycle accidents. We will also examine the common causes of these types of accidents. Finally, we will explain what types of damages you may be able to demand should you need to file suit.
Why Are Motorcycle Accidents So Dangerous?
Most regular car accidents are relatively minor. A car may bump into the back of another vehicle in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Or your car may get dented when someone smashes into the fender in a busy parking lot. Even most of the collisions that take place on the county highways aren’t all that serious.
The stories you see on the news often involve very serious motorcycle accidents. This is because the others aren’t worth putting on the news. This doesn’t mean the victims in these crashes aren’t hurt. Nor does it mean that nobody cares how their cases pan out.
Unfortunately, some motorcycle accidents are very serious. In our experience, people who were involved in motorcycle accidents suffer the worst injuries. There are several reasons for this:
- The human body cannot withstand the impact of a car or SUV
- The only thing standing between you and the other vehicle is a plastic helmet
- Many riders are ejected from their bikes when it’s hit by another car
- People on motorcycles do tend to drive a little faster than other motorists
These are just some of the reasons why motorcycle accident victims are so terribly hurt. Every case is different. Yours could have been worse than most. Or you may have been lucky and only suffered minor bodily injuries.
Your Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Sandy Springs Knows How Serious Your Injuries Are
When we meet with motorcycle accident victims, the first thing we ask is how bad their injuries were. This information helps us determine how much their case may be worth. It also helps us know what to expect if we agree to represent them.
Our experience has taught us that some of the following injuries are very common with motorcycle accidents in Georgia:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head injuries
Even if you only suffered one of these injuries, you’ll be in tremendous pain. Usually, we warn our clients that they need to go to the hospital immediately following their crash. With motorcycle accident victims, this isn’t necessary. It is rare that a motorcycle driver would physically be able to refuse treatment.
Your Georgia Personal Injury Attorney Will Demand Damages
Once you’ve started to recover from your injuries, it’ll be time to prepare your case. If the insurance company has refused to pay your claim, you’ll have no choice but to file suit. When your Georgia personal injury attorney drafts your initial complaint, they’re going to have to list your damages. These damages may include some or all the following:
- Medical bills and future medical bills – The defendant should be held responsible for any medical bills you accrued as a result of the accident. This includes hospital bills, prescription costs, doctor’s co-pays, and durable medical equipment.
- Property damage – If your motorcycle is damaged or destroyed, you’ll deserve compensation. Since many motorcycles are destroyed in the event of an accident, you may be able to demand the fair market value for your bike.
- Lost wages – You can demand compensation for any time that you missed from work. As long as you missed more than a couple of weeks, the defendant can be held liable.
- Lost future income – If you can no longer do the same kind of work after the crash, you may be entitled to damages. Your motorcycle accident attorney in Sandy Springs can demand the difference between what you would’ve earned and what you’ll receive on disability.
- Pain and suffering – These damages are meant to compensate you for any physical and mental anguish caused by your motorcycle accident.
An Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Sandy Springs Can Help
If you’ve suffered terrible injuries in a motorcycle accident, we can help. Our Georgia personal injury attorneys have spent years working with accident victims. We fight hard to make sure they get the compensation they deserve. Given the types of injuries described here, we understand how expensive your medical care will be. If the other driver caused your crash, you should be responsible for the costs of this care.
What we do is appeal to the other driver’s insurance company to see if they want to negotiate a settlement. If they refuse, then we’ll move forward with legal action. Sometimes, when the insurance company sees that you mean business, they may change their attitude.
To get started, all you have to do is call our office and schedule your free, initial consultation. Sit down with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Sandy Springs and tell them your story. They will review your case and help you determine what it may be worth. They can also give you an idea of how the legal process works.
Since your initial consultation is free, you don’t have anything to lose. In fact, our attorneys don’t get paid until your case settles.